Zucchini, Apple and Kale Baby Puree
This was one of those times that I needed to make my son some more purees, but wasn’t feeling like dragging him to the store. Know that feeling? So I took a look at what I already had in my kitchen and had a few zucchinis, an apple and a little leftover kale from some soup I had made that week. Sounds like an odd combination, but it was actually quite good! The apple sweetened it up just enough, and the kale wasn’t overpowering at all. Best of all, it is so healthy! If your baby is picky, or not a big fan of veggies, this is a great way to get them to enjoy them! Luckily for me my son loves everything so I was able to get creative with him.
ZUCCHINI, APPLE AND KALE BABY PUREE
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cook time: 10-15 Minutes
2 medium zucchinis
1 large apple (you can certainly add more apple to sweeten up the puree even more)
1/2 cup of kale (about a handful)
- To get started, heat a large skillet with about 2 cups of water (enough to cover your zucchini and apples.) Next, chop zucchinis to about 1 inch thick pieces and slice up your apple.
- Once water is boiling, add apple slices and zucchini and let simmer covered for 10-15 minutes or until tender. During last 2 minutes toss in the kale to soften. You don’t want to put the kale in too early or it will turn to mush and loose it’s beautiful color.
- After everything is tender, drain and give a quick rinse of cold water to stop from further cooking.
- Toss into blender, baby bullet ect. ( I use a hand blender and it works great!)
- Puree to your desired thickness and add water, breast milk or formula if you need to thin it out at all. If this is your baby’s first food, I recommend adding some breast milk or formula to thin. After your little one has some teeth, they can enjoy this puree a little more chunky.
I hope your little one enjoys this yummy puree as much as my son does! This is one mom and dad always sneak bites of!